Effective March 2nd, 2015, the New York City Department of Education will allow the possession of telecommunications devices by students on campus during the regular school day. In an effort to promote appropriate use of technology while keeping the integrity of the school environment, both within and outside of the classroom, John Dewey High School will be enforcing the following policy regarding all electronic devices for students within the building.
John Dewey High School Cell Phone/Electronics Policy
- All cell phones and electronic devices must be kept off, and out of sight, at all times students are in the building. This includes hallways, bathrooms, and the cafeteria.
- Cell phones and electronic devices cannot be charged at any time in the building.
- Headphones are to be kept out of sight. Headphones that are visible will be confiscated and returned at the end of the day.
- Videotaping or taking photographs while on campus is strictly prohibited. Students found to be violating this rule will be subject to discipline as per the NYC DOE Discipline Code.
- If cell phones or electronics are seen OR heard at any time, students are subject to the consequences listed below.
- In case of an emergency, if a staff member is present students should notify the staff member to receive instruction on if they should use their cell phones.
Consequences for violation of the cell phone/electronics policy
- 1st Offense: Item is confiscated and held in room 167 to be returned at the end of that school day. In addition, a Dean’s Office referral will be completed and the student’s parent/guardian will be called.
- 2nd Offense: Item is confiscated and must be picked up by a parent/guardian.
- 3rd Offense: Students may have the cell phone privilege revoked and be subject to a pre-suspension conference.
Students bringing cell phones or other electronics devices to school are doing so at their own risk. John Dewey High School and the NYC DOE are not liable for lost, stolen, or damaged items.
This policy is subject to review and may be changed at any time.