John Dewey High School is located in southern Brooklyn, in the neighborhood of Gravesend; bordered by Coney Island. It is situated at the intersection of Stillwell and Harway Avenues and Avenue X. The Bay 50th Street subway station (via the line) is situated in front of the school.
To get to John Dewey High School by car:
– Via the Belt Parkway: Westbound, from the John F. Kennedy Airport area, use Exit #6, Stillwell/Cropsey Avenues. Bear right at the exit toward Stillwell Avenue. Proceed to the traffic light, make a left turn, continue to the first traffic signal, Avenue X, and make a right turn. The entrance to the parking lot is on the right side of the street (next to the train yard), or you may park on the street.
– Via the Belt Parkway: Eastbound, from the Brooklyn Bridge area, use Exit #6, Cropsey Avenue. Proceed to the traffic light and make a left turn. Go to the second traffic light, Bay 49 Street and make a right turn. Proceed to the second stop sign, Stillwell Avenue, and make a right turn. At the first traffic signal, Avenue X, make a left turn. The entrance to the parking lot is on the right side of the street (next to the train yard), or you may park on the street.
To get to John Dewey High School by train:
– John Dewey High School is situated at the Bay 50th Street stop on the line. You may reach it directly by using the train or you may take the Coney Island-bound trains until reaching the last stop, all three terminate at the Stillwell Avenue train depot in Coney Island. From there, transfer to the Manhattan-bound train, ride it for one stop to Bay 50th Street. You will be able to see the school through the train window.
AN ALTERNATE TRAIN ROUTE IF THE TRAINS ARE NOT WORKING:
– Due to construction, the MTA sometimes tends to shut down parts of the line temporarily; often affecting access to the Bay 50th Street station. In that case, you can take a Coney Island-bound train and get off at 86th Street station, from there you can walk through West 8th Street until reaching Avenue X, then make a right turn and walk down Avenue X until reaching Stillwell Avenue, finally, make a left turn and walk down until you can see the school’s campus.*
* You can also enter through the left entrance of the school on Avenue X, through the open gate next to P.S. 721K.
To get to John Dewey High School by bus:
– The closest bus line is the B-64 which travels along Bath and Harway Avenues. It may be accessed by any line that intersects its route.