1. Our High School feels like a College – Students enjoy the benefits of small learning communities, designed to provide individualized guidance and one-on-one attention, with students keeping the same teachers throughout the academic year. 2. Our new Principal, Kathleen […]
1. Our High School feels like a College – Students enjoy the benefits of small learning communities, designed to provide individualized guidance and one-on-one attention, with students keeping the
same teachers throughout the academic year.
2. Our new Principal, Kathleen Elvin- Ms. Elvin previously served as principal of Williamsburg Preparatory, when it was ranked among the city’s top one percent of high schools for two consecutive school years, 2008-2010. She has been in education as a teacher and dean for 20 years and she is truly dedicated to improving the lives of students, particularly those who have been traditionally underserved.
3. Our commitment to small learning communities – The administration has made a strong commitment to small schools within the larger school, which can nurture and guide students who might otherwise tend to become lost, or overlooked, in a big city school.
4. Our faculty’s strong track record for helping academically talented students gain admission to top-tier Universities – Many of our students, including some who have only been in the United States for two or three years, have been able to earn admission to some of the best colleges in the country.
5. Our challenging new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Program – This new “house” within John Dewey High School – will be totally dedicated to preparing students for advanced study and careers in science, technology, engineering, and math. The school’s faculty is highly skilled in these areas, and they can teach, mentor and guide all students, as they move through these challenging areas of academic study.
6. Our expanded Health and Medical Careers Program –This “house” within our school provides pre- vocational training for fulfilling careers in this in-demand area.
7. Our new International House – This house celebrates the diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds of our students and teaches them to be responsible and knowledgeable world citizens.
8. Our Expanded Computer Science Institute & Academy of Finance– these houses are designed to prepare students for careers in technology and the world of finance.
9. Our Advanced Placement Program – we offer students the opportunity to earn college credit in a number of university-level courses while still in high school, showing the nation’s best universities and college’s our students’ proficiency in college-level work.
10. Our new rapidly expanding inter-school competitive Sports Programs – this program is meant to build our John Dewey High School spirit.